Catholic Church of St. Mary Ransom held its first service on June 3, 1901.
The church is of pressed brick with granite trimmings of Romanesque style architecture. Originally the church was in the form of a Latin cross, but this no longer exists since the church was renovated and enlarged in 1967. One of the most outstanding features of our church are the stained glass windows. The four large memorial windows were made in Germany and are genuine art glass. The two windows dedicated to John and Mary Morgan, W. D. Morgan’s parents, represent “The Good Shepherd” and “St. Mary of Ransom.” The two windows dedicated to John and Catherine McFeely represent “The Flight into Egypt” and “The Apostle John Writing the Gospel at the Isle of Patmos.”
The bell was cast at the McShane Bell Foundry in Baltimore, Maryland, and weighs 2300 pounds.
In 1968 the church building was enlarged and remodeled with the main entrance moved from Highmarket Street to the opposite end of the church.